Work we are doing near you
There is always something going on in the rail corridor. Maintenance and upgrades are a necessary part of running a rail business. However these activities may impact our rail-side neighbours.
We notify neighbours when work on the corridor will happen over a long period of time in one place. This usually happens for big project work, not maintenance work.
This section of the website will be kept up to date with general maintenance activities so you can know what is going on in your area.
General maintenance activities involve:
- Sleeper replacement
- Track de-stressing
- Track freeze
- Joint removals
- Vegetation control.
If there is something happening on the rail corridor but it is not listed below, please email us on: firstname.lastname@example.org and we will find out for you.
Auckland and Wellington have frequent train services during the day. This means alot of maintenance work needs to happen at night.
Activity in the Northern region
Auckland's rail network is being upgraded to enable more frequent and reliable commuter services, and prepare for electrification in time for the delivery of Auckland's new electric trains. This involves:
- Installation of masts and overhead wires
- Earthing works at stations
- Installation of safety screens on pedestrian and road bridges to prevent accidental contact with overhead wires.
From 14 July 2013 we will be carrying out night works at the following locations:
- The Strand and Parnell Rise bridges
- Purewa Tunnel
- Middlemore to Otahuhu
Maintenance work will be carried out at night (10.30pm – 5am) in the following areas:
- 26 – 29 August, Ranui, Te Mahia, Homai, Wiri
- 1-5 September, Glen Eden, Sunnyvale
- 7-8 September, Kingsland, Panmure and Normanby Road level crossing
- 21-22 September, Meadowbank Station
- 5-6 October, Massey Road
- 7-10 October, Apirana Ave
- 20-24 October, Tamaki Yard
Activity by other agencies in Auckland
To find out what other agencies are doing around the rail corridor in Auckland please visit:
Activity in the Central region
Wellington Metro Upgrade Project
In May 2011 Government announced an $88.4 million funding package over eight years to continue to transform Wellington’s rail services.
Find out what work is happening near you.
Activity in the Southern region
The rail grinder is scheduled to operate in the following areas:
Between Lyttleton and Templeton on the Main South Line:
8 January - 13 January
Between Palmerston and Rolleston on the Main South Line:
17 January – 1 April
More information about the rail grinder can be found here.
Employee and contractor behaviour
We expect our contractors and staff to be considerate when working near residential properties. If you have a problem with the behaviour of an employee or contractor please contact us:
- Email email@example.com (is monitored Monday - Friday during office hours only)
- 0800 801 070 (office hours only)
- 09 270 4404 (after hours)