Thank you for your interest in The Great Melling Rail Line Clean Up. Details about the clean up, including registration information and safety requirements, are listed below.
The clean up is joint initiative between KiwiRail, Hutt City Council, Masta Maintenance Services and the Department of Conservation which aims to beautify the Melling Line by removing graffiti, weeds and rubbish around the tracks. There will also be gardening tasks, for the Hutt’s green fingered residents.
If you wish to register as a volunteer please email Isaac Adams at: email@example.com
If your questions are not answered by the information below, please contact Isaac during office hours on the email above or by phone on 04 8197489 (Monday – Friday between 9am-5pm).
We hope to see you out in the field.
Inga Abolins-Thompson Isaac Adams
KiwiRail Planner/Scheduler KiwiRail Protection Planner
Date: Saturday 10 December
Location: Carpark, Melling Railway Station
9.00am-9.30am: Registration and briefing session
9.30am: Clean-up begins
2.00pm: Clean-up ends
2.00pm / 2.30pm: BBQ lunch is served
- The registration and briefing session for volunteers is compulsory
- Volunteers will need to check-in and out for health and safety purposes
- Please wear clothing that has ankle to elbow cover for your protection and lace- up footwear appropriate for uneven terrain
- This event is for persons over 15 years of age
- Tools will be supplied
- You will be provided with the following safety gear: Hi-vis vest, heavy duty gloves, eye protection, insect repellent and sun screen.
Clean-up activities include:
- Collecting and removing litter from around the line and nearby buildings
- Removing graffiti
- Gardening: re-establishing planted areas, weeding, trimming trees, mulching, and maintaining existing planted areas.
- 3 toilets will be situated along the clean up route
- Marshalls situated along the route will have supplies of bottled water
- Due to other business commitments the local Melling Station café will not be open.
- Parking spaces are available in the Melling Railway Station car park
KiwiRail would like to thank the following organizations, and their staff, for supporting the clean-up: