The Wairarapa Line
The Wairarapa Line runs commuter services from Wellington Station to Masterton. The line to Upper Hutt was opened in 1876 with the line extending to Masterton opening in 1880.
The 90 km line to Masterton is double track from Wellington to Trentham then single track until it joins the Palmerston North Gisborne Line in Woodville.
Over the last few years we have completed upgrade work on the line in preparation for the introduction of the new Matangi trains which now run on the electrified section of the line to Upper Hutt.
The current Wellington Metro Upgrade Project will build on these upgrades and deliver further improvements over the next eight years. This will further improve and maintain the reliability of commuter services.
Planned work on the Wairarapa line mainly relates to renewing the signals power supply system with a new modern system that will reduce faults on the line. We will also be re-railing some areas and undertaking some bridge upgrade work which will reduce any speed restrictions on the line.
We are currently planning for the replacement of Bridge 65 which crosses the Mangatere Stream 2½ km south of Carterton. With design and resource consent work expected to take place in the 2013 financial year.