KiwiRail with financial assistance from the Government has identified a number of major projects required in order to provide a robust network and an efficient service to our customers.
KiwiRail manages major projects some of which include:
- DART (Developing Auckland's Rail Transport) - 2006 project with a budget of $600 million
- WRRP (Wellington Region Rail Programme) - upgrading stations, power supply, signalling, track, tunnels and the Wellington Station Entry with a budget of $500 million
- Extending the Aratere ship to improve capacity of passengers and freight as well as improve sailing efficiency - within a budget of $40 million
- Replacing the foot of the Makatote Viaduct which ensuring the safe and continued habitat of the endangered Blue Duck within a budget of $4.2 million
- NIMT Bridge Replacement Project - replacing four bridges in Rangiriri
- North South Junction - upgrading the tunnels, track, signals and traction to enable more frequent services and enable larger freight containers through tunnels
Some projects are large in scale, some large in budget, others are large because of the length of time the project takes to complete.
For more information on our projects just click on the links above or in the left hand menu.