Utility services

The rail corridor can be used to carry utility services. For example, gas pipes, water pipes, electricity cables and telecommunication cables can run along or across the rail corridor.

We manage access to the railway with a permit system to arrange and plan safe access, co-ordinate conditional approvals and the documentation of property rights for new works.

If you are a utility company or local authority wanting to have and maintain these services on the corridor, a grant agreement needs to be in place. If you don’t have one, you may apply by completing the Application for a Grant.

Click here to apply for a grant.

If you want to check if what you’re proposing is compliant with KiwiRail’s requirements, please refer to C-SP-AE-64322 – Installation of Utility Structures on Railway Land.

Frequently Asked Questions - Grants of Right.