Additional Permits

When you apply for a Permit to Enter, certain kinds of activity require additional permits. We will advise you on what further permits you may require wen we assess your application for a Permit to Enter.

Additional permits include:

Grant Agreement
If you are installing or replacing any of your own assets (e.g. utilities infrastructure) within the rail corridor, a specific property right is required. This property right could a Deed of Grant, Licence to Occupy or Lease. All assets on KiwiRail’s land that are installed, maintained, upgraded or replaced require a property right. A Permit to Enter Application (Corridor Access Request) for work that requires a Deed of Grant, Licence to Occupy, or Lease cannot be submitted without the relevant property right in place. Any applications that are submitted with an incorrect reference number will not be approved.

Permit to Dig
If you are breaking ground within the rail corridor, a Permit to Dig is required. A form will be sent to you by the National Permits Team once we have reviewed your initial application.

Electrical Safety Permit
If you are working within 8 metres of an overhead electrical cable, you may also require an Electrical Safety Permit. The National Permits Team will contact you directly about this process.

Site Safety (Yard) Permit
If you are working on KiwiRail land e.g. in depots, yards, maintenance facilities or Container Terminals you may also need a Site Safety Permit and may be required to do an induction. Track Access Requests must be submitted for KiwiRail Yards if work requires access within 5 metres of track. Track Access Requests can be submitted through the Permits and TARs Portal.

Permits Poster March 2023